DOMINICAN REPUBLIC

Image

DOMINICAN REPUBLIC

124,527

Total Cases

2,223

Total Deaths

102,651

Total Recovered

19,653

Total Active Cases

+3

New Deaths

+509

New Cases


via kttc06/26/2020

Update on the latest sports - KTTC

VIRUS OUTBREAK-SPORTS NFL cancels Hall of Fame game, delays inductions for a year UNDATED (AP) — The NFL has canceled the Hall of Fame game that traditionally opens the preseason and is delaying the 2020 induction ceremonies for a year because of the coronavirus pandemic. The Aug. 6 exhibition game in Canton, Ohio, between the

via matzavreview06/25/2020

Cardi B speaks, that come to the Dominican Republic from transmission of coronavirus - Matzav Review

A few days ago rapper origin Dominican Republic Cardi B annoying to such an extent, swearing not to come to Dominican Republic and do not speak on topics that have to do with the country after ‘malinterpretaran’ their position against the Dominican-Haiti asking for the disk, but the order was world, but not for unification […]

via thestkittsnevisobserver06/12/2020

Top Dominican Republic Presidential Candidate Has Coronavirus - The St. Kitts-Nevis Observer

SANTO DOMINGO (Reuters) – Just three-and-a-half weeks away from the Dominican Republic’s presidential election, leading candidate Luis Abinader said he and his wife had tested positive for the novel coronavirus. The country is one of the worst-affected by the coronavirus pandemic in the Caribbean and Latin America, with 1 out of every 500 people infected, […]

via who.int06/01/2020

New Ebola outbreak detected in northwest Democratic Republic of the Congo; WHO surge team supporting the response - World Health Organization

The Government of the Democratic Republic of the Congo announced today that a new outbreak of Ebola virus disease is occurring in Wangata health zone, Mbandaka, in Équateur province. The announcement comes as a long, difficult and complex Ebola outbreak in eastern Democratic Republic of the Congo is in its final phase, while the country also battles COVID-19 and the world’s largest measles outbreak. Initial information from the Ministry of Health is that six Ebola cases have so far been detected in Wangata, of which four have died and two are alive and under care. Three of these six cases have been confirmed with laboratory testing. It is likely more people will be identified with the disease as surveillance activities increase. “This is a reminder that COVID-19 is not the only health threat people face,” said Dr Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, WHO Director-General. “Although much of our attention is on the pandemic, WHO is continuing to monitor and respond to many other health emergencies.”This is the Democratic Republic of the Congo’s 11th outbreak of Ebola since the virus was first discovered in the country in 1976. The city of Mbandaka and its surrounding area were the site of Democratic Republic of the Congo’s 9th Ebola outbreak, which took place from May to July 2018. “It’s happening at a challenging time, but WHO has worked over the last two years with health authorities, Africa CDC and other partners to strengthen national capacity to respond to outbreaks,” said Dr Matshidiso Moeti, WHO Regional Director for Africa. “To reinforce local leadership, WHO plans to send a team to support scaling up the response. Given the proximity of this new outbreak to busy transport routes and vulnerable neighbouring countries we must act quickly.”WHO is already on the ground in Mbandaka supporting the response to this outbreak, as part of capacity built during the 2018 outbreak. The team supported the collection and testing of samples, and reference to the national laboratory for confirmation. Contact tracing is underway. Work is ongoing to send additional supplies from North Kivu and from Kinshasa to support the government-led response. A further 25 people are expected to arrive in Mbandaka tomorrow. WHO is also working to ensure that essential health services are provided to communities despite these emergency events.The Democratic Republic of the Congo’s 10th outbreak of Ebola, in North Kivu, South Kivu and Ituri provinces, is in its final stages. On 14 May 2020, the Ministry of Health began the 42-day countdown to the declaration of the end of that outbreak. New outbreaks of Ebola are expected in the Democratic Republic of the Congo given the existence of the virus in an animal reservoir in many parts of the country.  Note to Editors - key figures COVID-19 in the Democratic Republic of the CongoAs of 31 May 2020: 3195 cases have been reported, including 72 deaths.  Measles in the Democratic Republic of the CongoSince 2019: 369 520 measles cases and 6779 deaths have been reported. Recent Ebola outbreaks in the Democratic Republic of the Congo 11th outbreak: Mbandaka, Équateur province. Ongoing. Declared on 1 June 2020. 6 cases (3 confirmed, 3 probable). Of those, 4 people died and 2 are alive. 10th outbreak: North Kivu, South Kivu and Ituri provincesOngoing. Declared on 1 August 2018. 3463 cases (3317 confirmed and 146 probable). Of these, 2280 people died and 1171 survived.  9th outbreak: Mbandaka, Équateur province. Declared on 8 May 2018 and ended on 24 July 2018. 54 cases (38 confirmed and 16 probable). Of those, 33 died and 21 survived.


via voanews05/14/2020

Venezuela Scientists Face Government Backlash for Research Predicting Surge in COVID-19 Cases - Voice of America

A powerful Venezuelan official is seeking an investigation of the nation's academy of scientists for publishing research that questioned official figures on coronavirus cases and estimated the pandemic may hit the country hard in the coming months.  Venezuela's Academy of Physical, Mathematical and Natural Sciences in a report published this month said official figures of 440 cases and 10 deaths appeared inconsistent with the COVID-19 epidemic, and that the country could register 4,000 cases daily as early as June.

via voanews05/14/2020

Yemen's COVID-19 Fight: 'We've Only Just Begun' - VOA News

Outside the gates of the Old City in Yemen's capital, Sanaa, crowds of people gathered to buy clothes and food last week as they fasted for Ramadan, the Islamic holy month. It was also crowded inside the ancient walled city, where 23-year-old Mohammed Ali Al-Khawlani made clay pots for cooking traditional Yemeni food. Like many people in Sanaa, he was not attempting "social distancing" because of the coronavirus. Mohammed Ali Al-Khawlani, 23, makes clay pots for cooking in Sanaa's ancient Old City where most people are not practicing social distancing, May 7, 2020.

via voanews05/14/2020

Trump Eyes China Crackdown as Coronavirus Retribution - VOA News

U.S. President Donald Trump said Thursday he is eyeing ways to crack down on China as retribution for the way it handled the outbreak of the coronavirus pandemic. "There are many things we could do," Trump told Fox News. "We could cut off the whole relationship." "Now, if you did, what would happen?," Trump asked rhetorically.


via who.int05/29/2020

International community rallies to support open research and science to fight COVID-19 - World Health Organization

WHO and Costa Rica launch landmark COVID-19 Technology Access PoolThirty countries and multiple international partners and institutions have signed up to support the COVID-19 Technology Access Pool (C-TAP) an initiative aimed at making vaccines, tests, treatments and other health technologies to fight COVID-19 accessible to all.The Pool was first proposed in March by President Carlos Alvarado of Costa Rica, who joined WHO Director-General Dr Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus today at the official launch of the initiative. “The COVID-19 Technology Access Pool will ensure the latest and best science benefits all of humanity,” said President Alvarado of Costa Rica. “Vaccines, tests, diagnostics, treatments and other key tools in the coronavirus response must be made universally available as global public goods”. “Global solidarity and collaboration are essential to overcoming COVID-19,” said WHO Director-General Dr Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus. “Based on strong science and open collaboration, this information-sharing platform will help provide equitable access to life-saving technologies around the world.” The COVID-19 (Technology) Access Pool will be voluntary and based on social solidarity. It will provide a one-stop shop for scientific knowledge, data and intellectual property to be shared equitably by the global community. The aim is to accelerate the discovery of vaccines, medicines and other technologies through open-science research, and to fast-track product development by mobilizing additional manufacturing capacity. This will help ensure faster and more equitable access to existing and new COVID-19 health products. There are five key elements to the initiative:Public disclosure of gene sequences and data;Transparency around the publication of all clinical trial results;Governments and other funders are encouraged to include clauses in funding agreements with pharmaceutical companies and other innovators about equitable distribution, affordability and the publication of trial data;Licensing any potential treatment, diagnostic, vaccine or other health technology to the Medicines Patent Pool - a United Nations-backed public health body that works to increase access to, and facilitate the development of, life-saving medicines for low- and middle-income countries.Promotion of open innovation models and technology transfer that increase local manufacturing and supply capacity, including through joining the Open Covid Pledge and the Technology Access Partnership (TAP).With supportive countries across the globe, C-TAP will serve as a sister initiative to the Access to COVID-19 Tools (ACT) Accelerator and other initiatives to support efforts to fight COVID-19 worldwide.WHO, Costa Rica and all the co-sponsor countries have also issued a “Solidarity Call to Action” asking relevant stakeholders to join and support the initiative, with recommended actions for key groups, such as governments, research and development funders, researchers, industry and civil society.WHO and Costa Rica co-hosted today’s launch event, which began with a high-level session addressed by the WHO Director-General and President Alvarado in addition to Prime Minister Mia Mottley of Barbados and Aksel Jacobsen, State Secretary, Norway. There were video statements by President Lenín Moreno of Ecuador; President Thomas Esang Remengesau Jr. of Palau; Michelle Bachelet United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights; Jagan Chapagain Secretary General of the International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies; and Retno Marsudi Minister for Foreign Affairs for Indonesia. Leaders from across the UN, academia, industry and civil society joined for a moderated discussion.To date, the COVID-19 Technology Access Pool is now supported by the following countries: Argentina, Bangladesh, Barbados, Belgium, Belize, Bhutan, Brazil, Chile, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, Egypt, El Salvador, Honduras, Indonesia, Lebanon, Luxembourg, Malaysia, Maldives, Mexico, Mozambique, Norway, Oman, Pakistan, Palau, Panama, Peru, Portugal, Saint Vincent and Grenadines, South Africa, Sri Lanka,Sudan, The Netherlands, Timor-Leste, Uruguay, ZimbabweOther international organizations, partners and experts have also expressed support to the initiative and others can join them using the website.Note to Editors:The Solidarity Call to Action follows from numerous international commitments, including: Global Sustainable Development Goal 3, target 3b;  The WHO Global Strategy and Plan of Action on Public Health, Innovation and Intellectual Property (GSPA- PHI) and the WHO Roadmap for access to medicines, vaccines and health products 2019-2023; the UN General Assembly Resolution on “International cooperation to ensure global access to medicines, vaccines and medical equipment to face COVID-19” (A/RES/74/274); and the 73rd World Health Assembly Resolution on the “COVID-19 response” (WHA73.1).To access the event: https://who.zoom.us/j/99683467690 - Password: WHO%OMS27

via voanews05/14/2020

Sierra Leonean Uses Ebola Experience to Help Spain Fight COVID - VOA News

Felix Sesay left his native Sierra Leone in 2016 to escape the Ebola outbreak, only to find himself helping others survive another epidemic — COVID-19. Now, the 23-year-old works with the Red Cross in Spain taking food to elderly people who are at higher risk of catching the coronavirus. “I am not scared, because I have already survived one epidemic. I have wanted to be a doctor since I was 8 years old.

via voanews05/14/2020

Whistleblower Testifies on ‘Scientific Integrity’ in US Coronavirus Response - VOA News

The United States lacks a comprehensive plan to respond to the coronavirus, a U.S. health official warned lawmakers Thursday. Dr. Rick Bright, an immunologist for the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS), issued the warning in testimony before a congressional committee.

via voanews05/14/2020

Trump Confident COVID-19 Vaccine Will Be Available by Year's End - Voice of America

U.S. President Donald Trump is saying he is confident there will be a COVID-19 vaccine by the end of the year, and mass inoculations of the public will occur quickly.     “I think distribution will take place almost simultaneously because we've geared up the military,” Trump explained on Thursday, adding that further details will be released on Friday.   The president’s prediction contrasts with testimony heard on Capitol Hill shortly before Trump spoke on the White House South Lawn.

via voanews05/14/2020

COVID Deaths Increase in Spain - VOA News

Spain’s health ministry reported Thursday the country’s daily coronavirus death toll rose above 200 for the first time in five days, with 217 fatalities reported since Wednesday. Spain’s death toll currently stands at more than 27,100, according to the Johns Hopkins University’s COVID-19 dashboard. COVID-19 is the illness caused by the virus. At news briefing in Madrid, the health ministry’s director of emergency coordination, Fernando Simón, said the higher number of deaths does not necessarily reflect a change in the situation in Spain.


via thepointsguy06/17/2020

The entire Dominican Republic reopens on July 1: What you need to know - The Points Guy

The island nation of the Dominican Republic reopens for tourism on July 1. Lucien Echavarria, Director at the Ministry of Tourism of the Dominican Republic, told the Caribbean Journal that the country would be prepared to welcome international visitors at the beginning of the second half of 2020. Sign up for TPG’s daily newsletter to …

via haitiantimes06/04/2020

Haiti and Dominican Republic Should Coordinate Covid-19 Response - Haitian Times

By Marites Sison  WACC partner Espacio de Comunicacion Insular has urged governments of the Dominican Republic and Haiti to coordinate their responses to the Covid-19 pandemic, saying failure to do so would...

via voanews05/15/2020

Denver to Furlough Thousands of Workers Amid Coronavirus - Voice of America

Denver Mayor Michael Hancock said Thursday that thousands of city employees, himself included, will be furloughed for eight days this year to help close what is expected to be a $226 million budget gap caused by the coronavirus, joining mayors across the country who have made the same move or are thinking about it. "This pandemic is not only a public health crisis, it is also fueling an economic crisis the likes of which we have not seen since the Great Depression.," Hancock said at a news conference. Denver has seen steep declines in sales, lodging and other taxes since the pandemic hit

via voanews05/14/2020

UN Urges Countries to Focus on Mental Health in Coronavirus Response - Voice of America

The United Nations is calling on governments to focus on mental health services as people all over the world deal with the coronavirus pandemic. “After decades of neglect and underinvestment in mental health services, the COVID-19 pandemic is now hitting families and communities with additional mental stress,” U.N.

via voanews05/14/2020

Wisconsin Bars Fill After Court Lifts COVID-19 Lockdown - Voice of America

A Wisconsin Supreme Court ruling Wednesday rejecting the midwestern state's stay-at-home order threw communities into chaos as some bars opened immediately and were packed with customers, while some local leaders moved to keep COVID-19-related restrictions in place. The 4-3 ruling essentially reopens the state, lifting caps on the size of gatherings, allowing people to travel as they please and permitting shuttered businesses, including bars and restaurants, to reopen. The Tavern League of Wisconsin swiftly posted the news on its website, telling members, "You can OPEN IMMEDIATELY!" The

via voanews05/14/2020

WHO Shortfalls Risk Yemen COVID-19 Response - VOA News

The World Health Organization will start shutting down some of its programs in Yemen due to funding shortages, just as the coronavirus is starting to spread in the war-torn country.   “Amidst a pandemic, this is shocking,” U.N. acting deputy humanitarian chief Ramesh Rajasingham said Thursday. “Preventing disease and feeding sick children are the kinds of programs that everyone agrees should be protected at all costs.”   Ramesh Rajasingham, U.N.